looking at my garden upside down

Friday, January 27, 2006

What to do when the weather is bad!

Good morning. It's a grey day with a very good chance of rain! Hooray. We need it very much.
While not working in the garden I do crafts. That is what keeps me busy most of the time. I love painting. I cut my own wood in the morning, sand it in the afternoon and paint it in the evening. I enjoy all aspects of it. We sell most of the items I make. We (hubby and I) work together. He cuts the straight cuts on a miter or table saw. I do the band saw and scroll saw.
For years while working, I gave my stuff away. That also gave me great pleasure. I was an Activity Director for a nursing home and sold quite a bit of my stuff for fund raising for the Resident Council but didn't have the confidence to actually sell to the "public". I made pins for the employees for all the Holidays, made decorations for the facility, gave presents to others.
When I retired, I still wanted to make things but no outlet to get rid of what I was producing.
A good friend told me about a store in a town about 30 miles from us that was an outlet for those of us that were crafting and were over 50. The service is free. They take your price, add a minimal fee, sell it and you still get your price. ie; I want $10, they add 2.50 to the selling price. You can consign 26 items at a time. Thats every day if your that ambitious. I don't. They keep your item for 6 mos. It is not a booth type store. Your item is placed in a different location monthly. Usually with similar items. I have been with this store for over 4 years and have recieved a check every month since. I am so blessed.
Two years ago, we went into a store and I got brave enough to mention that I did crafts of the type she was selling. She asked to see some. She BOUGHT all I had taken to show her. Since then she has been a permenent buyer. I have set up in several craft shows over the years and most of the time it was worth the time and effort. I will eliminate one though. They turned a craft sale into a GARAGE SALE... YUCK. All the buyers wanted used stuff and passed right by the crafts.
I will try to post some of the pictures of our projects later.

3 Comments:

  • can we see your crafts?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:35 AM  

  • I just came over from the link on PinkRocket's blog. I am a 53 year old 'blogaholic' and have added yours to my favorites, to check every day.
    Gardening is (was?) one of my interests too, although I have been very lax with it for the past couple of years. I do like native plants though.
    I'm in South Texas, in a little rural town not too far north of Corpus Christi.

    By Blogger Wanda, at 10:48 AM  

  • Hi Alex, I will be glad to start showing some of the items I do. Now that I have semi mastered the photo deal.
    Wanda, how lucky you are to be near the coast! We have quite a few natives in our garden. The best thing about them is that they take care of themselve
    Verla

    By Blogger verbestof7, at 12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home